Disclaimer: When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read More
In search of the best quiet portable generator for your RV, campsite, home or office? We’ve tested multiple models for sound & performance and have finally come up with the quietest generators in the US.
Whether at a campsite, RV or as backup power for your home or office, an inverter generator is quite indispensable. Although they have been around for several decades, it is only recently that the new QUIET models have come in.
Whenever we think of generators, the first thing that comes to mind is the annoying sputtering sound throughout the night, along with a pervasive cloud of fumes. This makes it difficult to operate them close to you. However, with modern technology that is clean, green, and whisper-quiet, all of this seems like a thing of past!
Decibel Knowledge: You’ll find many of the quiet, portable generators have their sound rating at less than 58 dB.
→ 60 dB is the level at which humans normally talk.
→ 40 dB is what you’d call the level of ‘whispering’.
Just for Knowledge: A few places where power outages are quite common include: California, Michigan, Florida, New york, North Carolina, and Texas.
In California, PG&E expects to have routine power outages to reduce wildfire risk during the dry season for many years to come! So if you are in these areas, you must check out the models, we’ve listed below!
The modern generators run on gas, which is actually a relatively clean fuel. The emissions from a modern gas-powered engine are really low compared to the older models. Not only do they make less noise, but they cause less harm to the environment too! Furthermore, inverter technology has really matured since the earlier days. This allows you to enjoy AC power without any fear of damaging sensitive electronic devices like an LED TV.
Most of the generators that we’ve listed here are really economical and can run for a full day on only about 2 gallons of gas. The most surprising feature is that the latest generator sets can be connected in parallel (two or more) to produce more kilowatts.
Note: Before putting together this list, The TeckFlock team visited a few campgrounds, construction sites, offices, RVs and homes where generators were commonly used. We tested out a few of the models with various noise-checking apps and instruments.
- 11 Best Quietest Portable Generators in 2020
- 1. Best Quietest Portable Generator: The Westinghouse iGen2200
- 2. Best Runner Up: The Briggs & Stratton 30545 P3000 PowerSmart Series Portable 3000-Watt Inverter Generator
- 3. Best Quiet Portable Inverter Generator with Fuel Shut-Off: WEN 56225i Super Quiet 2250-Watt
- 4. Best For RV: WEN 56310i-RV 3100-Watt Super Quiet Portable Generator
- 5. Best Quietest Under Budget: WEN 56202i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
- 6. Best Value for Money: Honda EU3000iS, 2800 Running Watts/3000 Starting Watts, Gas Powered
- 7. Best Value For Money Runner Up: Honda EU2200i 2200-Watt 120-Volt Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator
- 8. Champion 4000-Watt RV Ready DH Series Open Frame Inverter
- 9. Power Solutions PSC2200, 2000 Running Watts 2200 Peak Watts
- 10. Generac 6866 iQ2000 Super Quiet 1600 Running Watts
- 11. Atima Inverter Generator 2000 watts, AY2000i
- Quiet Portable Generators – FAQ
11 Best Quietest Portable Generators in 2020
Not only did we make a list of the best quiet models available, but we have also made sure that the models in this list provide high-quality performance too!
1. Best Quietest Portable Generator: The Westinghouse iGen2200
- 1800 Rated Watts and 2200 Peak Watts at Less Than 3% THD - Weighs Only 46 Lbs. - Gas Powered - Two 120V 20 Amp Outlets, Two USB Outlets
- Great Choice for Home Use as an Emergency Backup in a Power Outage - Strong Enough to Run All Your Home Essentials
- Extremely Quiet, Extremely Fuel Efficient: as Low as 52 dBA Noise Output and 12 Hour Run Time on a 1. 2 Gallon Gas Tank - Features "Economy Mode" for Maximum Fuel Efficiency
- Parallel Capable - Combine Your iGen2200 with the Westinghouse WH2200iXLT, iGen1200, iGen2200, and iGen2500 to Increase Available Wattage and Amperage (Requires Westinghouse Parallel Cord)
- All Westinghouse Portable Generators are Functionally Tested in the Factory and May Contain Minimum Residual Oil and/or Fuel Odor; EPA and CARB Compliant; Backed by 3-Year Limited Service, Labor, and Parts Coverage with Nationwide Customer Service Network
- Weight: 46 pounds
- Fuel capacity: 1.2 gallons
- Wattage: 1800 watts
- Engine displacement: 79cc
- Number of outlets: two 120V outlets and two USB ports
- Noise Level: 52 dB
The Westinghouse iGen2200 inverter generator makes use of a four-stroke Westinghouse engine. It is remarkably quiet as it operates at just 52 dB. Along with that, it is also highly fuel-efficient. We found that it is capable of working around 12 hours on a full tank. This implies that it is almost three times better than traditional generators we are used to, in terms of fuel efficiency. In addition to that, there is also an “efficiency mode” which ensures that fuel is not wasted at all.
The Westinghouse iGen2200 is parallel capable, helping the user to satisfy his/her need for power. However, we found out that only the Westinghouse Parallel Cord is compatible with the generator and this has to be purchased separately.
The power produced by the model is quite stable and it is safe to use for sensitive electronic devices like televisions and computers. Its design resembles a suitcase and its weight suits its portability. This ensures that the Westinghouse iGen2200 can be easily transported and comfortably stored.
The spark arrestor in the Westinghouse iGen2200 makes it 100 percent safe to be used in areas prone to fire like parks and hiking locales.
The company provides a three-year warranty and lifetime technical support free of cost to all customers which are added advantages.
- Efficient design
- Amazing wattage
- Digital display
- Three-year warranty
- Lifetime Westinghouse technical support
- Not weather-sealed
- Easily damaged
2. Best Runner Up: The Briggs & Stratton 30545 P3000 PowerSmart Series Portable 3000-Watt Inverter Generator
- Run time: Up to 10 at 1/4 Load
- Running Amps 21.7A
- Alternator: Permanent magnet
- Clean and instant power to keep appliances and other important electronics running during a power outage, 30545s engine speed reduces noise, fuel consumption and emissions
- Quieter than a traditional camping generator with enough power to start a standard RV air conditioner
- 1.5 gallon fuel tank for an impressive 10 hours of continuous operation at 25 percent load on a full tank. Engine Displacement 171 (cc)
- Weight: 96 pounds
- Fuel capacity: 1.5 gallon
- Wattage: 3000 watts
- Engine displacement: 171cc
- Number of outlets: four 120-Volt AC Outlets and one 12-Volt DC Outlet
- Noise level: 56 dB
If you’re looking for a generator that is versatile in terms of models it can be paired with, this is it. While there are some power limitations, it is capable of getting you through a sudden power outage at home or for a camping trip.
The versatility comes at a cost as the generator isn’t exactly a super quiet one. The noise can be more significant (about 56dB) and if you aren’t someone who can ignore it on a camping trip, you probably won’t like this one.
We tried running several appliances with the generator. It is capable of running and starting a fridge relying on clean power even when it is in power-save mode. We could even start a water heater of the commercial-grade and run it along with it. Ultimately, this still leaves about 300 watts to spare because the power needs for starting both of these appliances is significant.
As of now, the generator has been really solid in its performance. We have had it running for 14 hours to 90 hours, sometimes continuously except for refueling, and it hasn’t shown any signs of problems.
It’s a small generator that’s portable so it is easy to use around household items. We have tried it on items such as Roku box, router, fans, television, light simultaneously and surprisingly, it never passed beyond the 40 percent draw. If we add microwaves to the mix, it runs out quicker. That aside, on the 40 percent use, the fuel lasts for about 8 hours.
- Inexpensive compared to its counterparts in the market
- Still a well known brand
- Good Service
- Smaller than other generators
- Easy to start
- Not Carbohydrate compliant for CA use
- Louder than other quiet models
- Fuel tank needs to be larger for something which such a high power output
3. Best Quiet Portable Inverter Generator with Fuel Shut-Off: WEN 56225i Super Quiet 2250-Watt
- Dimensions: 19" x 11.5" x 18.2" | Weight: 48.5 lbs
- Noise Level: 53 dB operation
- EPA III and CARB Compliant 79.7 cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces 2000 surge watts and 1600 rated watts
- Fuel shutoff maximizes the generator’s lifespan by using up the remaining fuel in the carburetor before shutting down
- Produces clean power to safely operate and prevent damage to sensitive electronics such as phones, tablets, televisions and computers
- Includes two three-prong 120V receptacles, one 12V DC receptacle and one 5V USB port
- Weight: 48.5 lbs
- Fuel capacity: 1 gallon
- Wattage: 1800 watts
- Engine displacement: 79.7cc
- Number of outlets: two three-prong 15A 120V receptacles and two 5V USB ports
- Noise level: 53 dB
The first thing we noticed about the WEN 56225i is how convenient and easy to use it is. Unlike generators with three controls, this has one knob that can be rotated and pointed at the desired mode. The knob does the work of turning the fuel on and off, and starting the generator.
The thing about this generator is that it doesn’t do anything beyond what it is supposed to do. However, for what it is advertised for, it does a perfect job. For example, on continuous run time, it draws about 1600 watts and for a motor start, it goes up to 2000 watt. The generator won’t exceed beyond these wattage specifications. The noise level is not very high, at about 53 dB.
So, it isn’t great for a day after day use on all household appliances but will do an amazing job on a camping trip. On eco mode, you can watch TV and use 2 small fans simultaneously. If we want to use something that requires more wattage, say a microwave, then we have to switch out of eco mode. At this point, it can handle only one heavy power application at a time.
The motor is quite good and almost never misses. The first or second pull is enough to get it running. As for the oil, you will have to change it every 25 hours which shouldn’t be a problem for short camping trips.
- Super Quiet
- Run time is as advertised
- Easy maintenance
- Easy to carry around
- Little vibration
- No fuel valve
- The eco system doesn’t work over 1000 watt load
4. Best For RV: WEN 56310i-RV 3100-Watt Super Quiet Portable Generator
- Extremely quiet operation minimizes noise; EPA III and CARB Compliant
- 212 cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces 3100 surge watts and 2800 rated watts
- Great for RVs, campgrounds, the country, tailgating and power outages
- Produces clean power to prevent damage to sensitive electronics such as smart phones, tablets and laptops
- Includes two three-prong 120V receptacles, one AC 120V 30A RV plug, one 12V DC receptacle, two 5V USB ports and a two-year warranty
- Weight: 81.4 lbs
- Fuel capacity: 1.85 gallon
- Wattage: 2800 watts
- Engine displacement: 212cc
- Number of outlets: two three-prong 120V receptacles, one AC 120V 30A RV plug, one 12V DC receptacle, two 5V USB ports
- Noise level: 57 dB
The portable WEN 56310i-RV is a generator has a running wattage of 2800, but a starting wattage of 3100. It’s not as good as we expected it to be, but it gets the small jobs done for the most part.
The generator can be a bit intimidating at first due to all the buttons and indicators but once you get the hang of it with the help of the manual, it appears highly efficient. If the generator overloads, that is the oil level reaches its low point, there is a light indicator that will inform you of the predicament.
It also comes with some good safety measures. There is a circuit breaker for overloading and an automatic shut off system when the oil is too low.
We can get the generator to power an A/C unit, two televisions, miscellaneous chargers, lights, etc at the same time. However, when it comes to appliances that require a lot of power, such as a combination of A/C, hairdryer, or microwave at the same time, it cannot meet the demand, which is pretty much expected for a portable generator.
If we compare the WEN 56310i-RV to other brands with similar specifications, the price range is about average. It is in no way costly, but it isn’t cheaper than the others either. Overall, it will suit the needs of campers or RV travelers who want to spend some leisure time in the van and still enjoy some of the comforts of home. At 57 dB it’s also not the quietest and the half-load run time is only 7.5 hours.
- Good warranty period (2 yrs)
- A good, working eco mode
- Price range is just right
- Run time is quite low
- Not as quiet as other options
- Electric start isn’t available
- Lack of data display
5. Best Quietest Under Budget: WEN 56202i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
- Extremely quiet operation comparable to the sound of a normal conversation according to the US Department of Health and Human Services
- EPA III and CARB-Compliant 79.7cc 4-Stroke OHV engine produces 2000 surge watts and 1700 rated watts
- Great for campgrounds, construction sites, tailgates and power outages
- Produces clean power to safely operate sensitive electronics such as smartphones, tablets, televisions and computers
- Includes two three-prong 120V receptacles, one 12V DC receptacle, two 5V USB ports, and a two-year warranty
- Weight: 38.6 pounds
- Fuel capacity: 1 gallon
- Wattage: 1700 watts
- Engine displacement: 79.7cc
- Number of outlets: two three-prong 120V receptacles, one 12V DC receptacle, two 5V USB ports
- Noise level: 51 dB
Operating with a 78cc 4-stroke OHV engine, the WEN 56202i inverter generator delivers notable and impressive performance. Stable power is produced by the machine and we did not find any spikes or drops in voltage. This indeed makes it safe to use with sensitive electronic devices like computers and cellphones. We noticed that the model is capable of producing around 2000 surge watts. The rated amount of steady, running watts is 1700.
The WEN 56202i does not produce much noise as it performs at a mere 51 decibels when the load is at a quarter level. The US Department of Health and Human Services has approved this feature. Therefore, it can be comfortably operated in any neighborhood, parks, etc.
This inverter generator has a fuel capacity of 1 gallon. There is also an “eco mode” which enables the generator’s motor to adjust the fuel consumption rate automatically. This prolongs the run time as well as engine life. During our tests, we discovered that its half-load run time is 7 hours.
This WEN model is capable of a parallel connection with another generator in the event more than 2000 watts are necessary. In this case, you will need to use the WEN 56421 Parallel Connection kit.
Two three-pronged 120V receptacles, two 5V USB ports, and one 12V DC receptacle are included in this model. The long, two-year warranty, is an extra bonus to give peace of mind to customers purchasing the WEN 56202i.
- Eco-mode to enhance fuel efficiency
- Attractive design
- Too tall
- Not easy to fill the fuel
- Low-fuel capacity / run-time
6. Best Value for Money: Honda EU3000iS, 2800 Running Watts/3000 Starting Watts, Gas Powered
- Weight: 131 lbs
- Fuel capacity: 3.4 gallon
- Wattage: 2800 watts
- Engine displacement: 196 cc
- Number of outlets: two three-prong 120V receptacles, one AC 120V 30A Locking RV plug, one 12V DC receptacle
- Noise level: 49 to 58 dB
The inverter is capable of running a variety of appliances. From a fridge to TV, microwave, blenders, and most 13,500 BTU RV AC units among others. The inverter operates at a very low noise level, 49 to 58 dB (A) which is super quiet. It is therefore perfectly suited for activities like camping, or in operations where a quiet source of power is required.
It is extremely fuel-efficient and can run for 20 hours on 3.4 gallons of fuel. It can run 7.5 to 20 hours depending on the load it is carrying.
The power is steady and reliable, therefore, equipment like computers and other power-sensitive appliances can run without any issues.
The inverter has a built-in oil alert, which shuts the engine off when the oil in the tank is low.
- The inverter cranks up quickly and smoothly using the electric start. The manual crank also is very efficient.
- Very silent operation. One of the quietest inverters in the range.
- The power output is very smooth and steady. Therefore sensitive equipment like computers can be run easily, safely.
- It does not have a built-in time meter. The run time has to be monitored with a watch or some other time-keeping device.
- It does not have a built-in inline fuel filter. There is a fuel strainer but this is not enough to ensure clean fuel.
- Comes with a manual choke. Does not incorporate an automatic choke.
7. Best Value For Money Runner Up: Honda EU2200i 2200-Watt 120-Volt Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator
- 2200 watts, 18.3A, 120V
- Ideal for TV, DVD, satellite, fridge, coffee pot, and more
- Super quiet - like a conversation, Lightweight - less than 47 lbs
- Fuel efficient - up to 8.1 hrs on 0.95 gal of gas
- Inverter - stable power for computers and sensitive equipment
- Weight: 46.5 lbs
- Fuel capacity: 1 gallon
- Wattage: 2200 watts
- Engine displacement: 121cc
- Number of outlets: two three-prong 120V receptacles, one 12V DC receptacle
- Noise level: 47 to 58 dB
Honda brings powerful performance and versatility together in the EU2200i. With the powerful Honda GXR120 engine at its heart, this model is capable of operating a wide range of appliances comfortably. It is portable and thus can enhance your lifestyle by being a part of your camping and leisure trips.
The noise level at which the Honda EU2200i operates is 47 to 58 dBA which implies that it is quieter than the sound produced during a normal conversation between people.
While testing it we discovered that the model is highly fuel-efficient and thus can be used for long term applications. On average it can run around 7 hours on a single tank, though this depends on the load. We also found that the power produced by the Honda EU2200i is very reliable in nature, much like the power outlets present at home. So basically, this inverter generator provides a stable, clean supply of power in a quite small and light package.
In addition to all the features provided by the Honda EU2200i, the design is user-friendly as well with color-coded startup points which helped us to quickly start and use the generator. The fuel shut off valve enables the engine to perform with the fuel supply off, thus eliminating stale-fuel issues completely.
There is good ventilation and this helps in cooling all the key components of the machine. Other user-friendly features include a large spout, oil drain gutter, and smooth recoil. Honda warranties the EU2200i for 3 full years for residential and commercial use so you can rest easy with your investment.
- Amazing wattage
- Low noise level
- Compact design
- 3 year manufacturer warranty
- A bit pricey, so this model is for those who value quality and are willing to pay for it
- Advanced Open Frame Inverter Design – 50% quieter and 20% lighter than a traditional Champion 3500-watt generator, plus our Economy Mode feature saves fuel and extends engine life, No GFCI Outlets
- Quiet Technology and Extended Run Time – 64 dBA is great for RVs, tailgating, your next project or home backup, with 4000 starting watts and 3500 running watts for up to 17 hours run time on gasoline
- Clean electricity for sensitive electronics – RV Ready with a 120V 30A RV, plus two 120V 20A household outlets with clean power (less than 3% THD) and 12V DC outlet with dual USB adapter
- Parallel Ready – Increase your power output by connecting up to two 2800-watt or higher inverter or digital hybrid with the optional Parallel Kit
- Champion Support – Includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts. No Voltmeter. No Automatic Voltage Regulation
- Weight: 81.6 lbs
- Fuel capacity: 2.9 gallons
- Wattage: 3500
- Engine displacement: 224cc
- Number of outlets: two three-prong 120V receptacles, one 30A 120V AC RV, one 12V DC
- Noise Level: 64 dB
The Champion Inverter is a very light and efficient machine for such a high power output. It has an open frame design which is why it is 50% quieter and 20% lighter than generator of similar power output. It has a run time of about 17 hours on gasoline.
It has several outlets for a variety of appliances and equipment. It is RV ready with a 120V 30A RV, two 120V 20A household outlets and a 12V DC outlet.
The inverter features an efficient recoil start pull cord. This generally starts the engine with the first pull.
There is a knob which helps in adjusting the choke to aid in starting, along with a very user-friendly control panel next to it. The engine switch allows you to turn the engine on or off quickly.
The Eco mode helps save fuel and increases run time. In case of overload, there are three reset buttons to get everything running again.
The power is strong, steady and clean. You pay for the extra power with a bit more noise at 64 dB.
- Open frame technology makes it lightweight for a higher-power portable generator
- Smooth manual starter
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Higher noise levels
- Some of the inverters arrive in a slightly damaged state; a shipping risk of the open design
- Weight: 78 pounds
- Fuel capacity: 1.85 gallons
- Wattage: 2000 watts
- Engine displacement: 125cc
- Number of outlets: two three-prong 120V receptacles, one 12V DC, one 5V USB
- Noise level: 57 dB
Powered by a 125cc 4-stroke engine that is gas-powered, the eZV2200 inverter generator is a safe bet you can place to make your life easier.
We found that the output is quite remarkable with 2200 watts at the peak level and 2000 watts during the running time. This ensures that it performs with impressive stability and unexpected spikes or drops in voltage would not be bothering you.
It is also notably quiet as it runs at 57 dBA at even a full load so that there won’t be any whirring noise disturbing you while you are engaging in various activities outdoors or indoors.
The model’s fuel tank capacity is one feature which we liked very much. It can hold up to 1.85 gallons of fuel which is amazing, even when compared to other similar portable inverter generators. This fuel tank capacity enables the eZV2200 to run for 6 hours at 75% load.
The model features an eco-mode throttle as well which helped us a lot to minimize fuel consumption with its automatic power adjustments.
Notably, the rear panel is weather-sealed. The panel contains one USB receptacle along with a 12V DC receptacle and two 3-prong 120V AC. The company provides all its customers with a 2-year warranty as well.
- Amazing fuel tank capacity
- Weather protected rear panel
- Eco-mode throttle present
- Excellent customer service
- 2-year warranty
- Fairly heavy (especially when compared to other models)
- Not reliable
- Cannot be connected to another one for extra power
- AC Rated Output(Running/Starting): 1600/2000 Watts; AC Rated Voltage: 120V
- PowerDial integrates start/run/stop functions into 1 easy-to-use dial
- PowerBar monitors and displays wattage used; Electronic Fuel Gauge displays remaining fuel; Runtime Display show how much time is left before refueling
- Fuel Capacity: 1.06 Gallons; Runtime (50% - 25% Load): 5.7 - 7.7 hrs; Full Load Fuel Consumption (gallons/hour): 2.85; Displacement: 80 cc; Oil Type: SAE 10W-30
- Economy, Standard, and Turbo modes of operation saves fuel and reduces noise
- Parallel 2 units together for twice the power (parallel kit model 6877 sold separately); Storage Cover model 6875 sold separately
- Weight: 46.2 lbs
- Fuel capacity: 1.06 gallons
- Wattage: 1600 watts
- Engine displacement: 80cc
- Number of outlets: two three-prong 120V receptacles
- Noise level: 56 dB
The Generac 6866 iQ2000 inverter generator is ideal to be used in any environment because it is extremely quiet and very easily portable. In fact, we compared it to other inverter generators from competitive brands and found that it is the most silent. Thereby it allowed us to power the desired load without disturbing the external surroundings.
Its design is highly innovative and certain features make it better than many other existing models. The digital inverter module which is a part of its construction has the ability to produce AC power from the raw DC power it produces. However, this means that it does not produce a true sine-wave in the AC power output.
While using the Generac 6866 iQ2000 we discovered that users can choose ‘Turbo’, ‘Economy’ or ‘Standard’ modes depending on the load. This creates a difference in the fuel consumption and noise produced by the model. In addition to that, we were able to manually set the ‘Start’, ‘Run’ and ‘Stop’ functions with the help of the PowerDial.
There is an LED display as well on the dashboard of the inverter generator which made it quite easy to be updated about its performing status. The status indicators for low fuel, overheating, low oil, etc. makes this model extremely user-friendly. The noise level at 56 dB keeps it manageable.
A parallel kit enables the Generac 6866 iQ2000 to be connected to another of the same model if the user has large power requirements.
- LED display with status indicators
- Parallel capable
- Quieter than most models
- Multiple modes
- Runs a bit rough
- Cannot handle heavy loads well
- GENUINE YAMAHA ENGINE - For decades, Yamaha has produced the best engines in the world, known for high performance and low maintenance requirements over many years of continual heavy use. These engines are the top of the line, and Atima is proud to carry them in our award-winning AY2000i.
- FITS YOUR DEMANDING LIFESTYLE - AY2000I can power the following accessories: blender, coffee maker, computer, incandescent lights, portable fan, TV/DVD, RV, AC, slow cooker, two-way radio, garage door opener, hair dryer, standard microwave oven, Energy Star refrigerators or freezers. It is perfect for camping or home use.
- PARALLEL READY - All outlets are parallel ready and all-in-one, so you can connect with any model in the Atima family to increase your available power.
- HIGH STARTING LOAD AND CONSTANT POWER SUPPLY - A tool or appliance has a start-up load, meaning the surge of power needed to start up, that is significantly higher than its operating output. Atima inverters go to 2.5x their operating output (industry averages 1.5 - 2x), so they are able to cover a more extended variety of electronics than competitors. AY2000i generator kit doesn’t ebb or flow – it provides the constant electricity that sensitive electronics need to correctly operate.
- ERGONOMIC AND ACCESSIBLE DESIGN - Atima believes industrial design should be thoughtful, and an aluminum alloyed body and ergonomic details distinguish AY2000i as one of the nicest generators to use. In addition, 2000i is meant to be simple to operate. Once running, virtually anyone who can use a standard electrical outlet will be able to enjoy your generator, lasting much longer than battery-powered or propane generators.
- Weight: 47.5 lbs
- Fuel capacity: 1 gallon
- Wattage: 2000 watts
- Engine displacement: 70cc
- Number of outlets: two three-prong 20A 120V AC receptacles, one 12V 8A DC (cigarette lighter style)
- Noise level: 51.5 dB to 61 dB
Making use of a Yamaha engine, the Atima AY2000i inverter generator is perfect to meet the user’s high power requirements with low maintenance needs.
We were happy to find that the power produced by the model is quite stable and therefore one does not have to worry about damaging sensitive electronics. The startup load of this model is 2.5 times higher than its output which enables it to be used on a wide variety of appliances, especially when compared to its competitors.
The design of the Atima AY2000i inverter generator is innovative which makes it super easy to operate even for someone who is not comfortable with electronics. We discovered that if one has the basic sense of how to operate a simple machine, they can use this model comfortably.
The fuel tank capacity of the Atima AY2000i is decent as well. It guarantees a run time of 10.3 hours at quarter load. Our test results showed that run time of 4.2 hours is achievable at full load. The generator is not very quiet with noise levels of 51.5 dB to 61 dB. At the lower load end it is quieter with levels of about 52 dB.
There is a smart throttle that is part of the design which a notable feature of this inverter generator. The throttle helps to make the model more fuel-efficient as the technology used adjusts the engine speed with the load. The Atima AY2000i inverter generator features Pulse Width Modulation as well as advanced inverter technology.
- High starting load
- Produces clean power
- Easy to use
- Innovative technology
- Poor customer service
- Not that quiet at higher when compared to other models
Quiet Portable Generators – FAQ
The quietness of a silent generator would depend on the model. Anything less than 70dB is considered quiet. Many of the featured models run at 55 dB.
Rated watts are what the dynamo can produce continuously. Peak watts is the surge that it can handle for a second. Any higher than the peak watt would cause the circuit breaker to kick in.
For home use and camping, you do not need more than 2000 watts unless you are using an air conditioner. At job sites, you may need 3000-5000 watts depending on how many drills, etc. you are using.
Some of these models have a small starter like a car. Using a button on a key fob, you could start them from 50-80 feet away. Otherwise, you have to yank the starter cord to get the motor to start.
An inverter generator is superior to older ones. It produces DC (direct current) and passes it through an electronic circuit to convert it to AC (alternating current). It has a very low distortion of no more than 3% THD. Basically, it is safer for your gear.
The Westinghouse iGen2200 Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator is the winner of our comparison tests. It is affordable, lightweight, can be hooked up in parallel mode, has 3 years warranty and can also remote start. It also whispers quietly with a faint purr.
The clear second place winner was Briggs & Stratton 30545 P3000 PowerSmart Series Portable 3000-Watt Inverter. It is larger at 3000 watts but not very heavy. With solidly built six-inch wheels, it is easily hauled and has a superb LCD display. On the downside, it does not have a self-starter, but the cord is easy to use.