Disclaimer: When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read More
In search of the best quiet space heater? That’s what we’ll help you find!
There is probably nothing more pleasurable than curling up on your sofa and reading a book during long winter evenings. But for coziness, your room needs to be pleasantly warm. Unfortunately, most room heaters make noise that, though not very loud, can be annoying when it continues for hours on end.
Heating with either an electric coil or oil from the furnace is actually noiseless. The noise is caused by fans that suck in cold air and disperse warm air. In our testing, we reviewed most of the space heaters from well-known brands and narrowed the results down to those that made very little noise.
A note on safety, please be certain to read the operating manual fully for any heater you buy to ensure your safety. Modern space heaters are much safer than they used to be, but only when used properly. They must be plugged in correctly, any exhaust ports free from obstruction and away from any easily combustible materials. Most heaters are recommended to be plugged directly into the wall and not a power strip.
- 1. Best For Heater for Office: Dr. Infrared Heater Portable Quiet Space Heater
- 2. Best Quiet Space Heater for Bedroom: DeLonghi HMP1500 Mica Panel Heater
- 3. Best for Heating Up Small Spaces: Rosewill RHAH-13001 1500W Quick Heat Ceramic Heater (Adjustable Thermostat)
- 4. Best Suitable for Home and Office: Hurricane 736609 Heatwave 24 Inch Radiant Heater (Comes with Thermostat)
- 5. Best For Portability & Noise: iLIVING Infrared Portable Space Heater with Thermostat
- 6. Best for Small Spaces: Lasko Ceramic Tower Space Heater with Logic Center Digital Remote Control
- 7. Best Quiet Portable Space Heater for Small Rooms/Office Spaces: PuraFlame 1250W Clara
- 8. Best Ultra Quiet Space Heater for Small to Medium Rooms: TURBRO Arcade HR1015 Electric Mica Heater
- 9. Best Quietest Space Heater for Large Rooms: Bionaire Silent Micathermic Console Heater
- 10. Best For Personal Use: 500W Mini Space Electric Heater
1. Best For Heater for Office: Dr. Infrared Heater Portable Quiet Space Heater
- Can heat up a large room with Auto Energy Saving Model With High and Low Feature. Tip-over protection and Overheat protection
- Dual Heating Systems featuring infrared quartz tube + PTC with 12hr automatic shut-off timer. Amperage: 12.5 Amps
- IR Remote Control, High Pressure Low Noise Blower with Noise level 39 dB super quiet. Heating can cover for a large room.
- Electronic Thermostat: range 50 to 85 degrees. Caster Wheels and Lifetime Filter
- Weights 24 lbs and uses 12.5 Amps of Power. 1500 Watts. Electric Cord is 72 inches long (6 feet)
- Voltage: 120 Volts
- Wattage: 1500 Watts
- Noise Level: Below 39dB
- No. of heat settings: Auto, high and low
- Dimensions: 13 x 11 x 16 in
When the world around you is freezing and you need to invest in a safe heater, Dr. Infrared Heater is a great choice. This quiet space heater and can be used safely around children without worrying about them getting hurt. It comes with three modes: auto, high and low and based on your preference, you can adjust it to match your needs.
Despite all the heavy-duty heating, the equipment is cool to touch and handle, making sure that the hot air is vented out well. Now, while the noise level is quite low, within six to eight feet, the fan can be a little noisy. So place it away from your sleeping area or position it such that the noise is not heard.
We understand that the price point may seem steep for a heater, but it is conveniently designed to warm any home, even if it is not built with modern amenities like dual paned windows. It occupies very little room and is easy to clean. Overall, it makes it worthwhile to invest in this heater as it will last you a long time.
- Cool to touch
- Great safety features
- Easy to clean
- Remote control and schedule timer
- Loud fan if very close to heater
2. Best Quiet Space Heater for Bedroom: DeLonghi HMP1500 Mica Panel Heater
- FULL ROOM WARMTH: Packs 1500 watts of heating power for full room comfort
- SLEEK LOOK: Whether set on the floor or mounted to the wall, this is a stylish way to stay warm
- PERSONALIZED COMFORT: Adjustable thermostat and multiple heat settings allow you to customize to your heating needs
- CONVENIENT WALL MOUNT: Safe and easy to mount to any wall with included kit
- PORTABLE WARMTH: Lightweight, compact unit with convenient handle and wheels easily moves from room to room
- STAY COZY AND SAVE ENERGY: Carving out a comfortable room, desk, or other cozy spot for work, focus, and learning is more important than ever. Add this heater to your designated space to keep it cozy—optimizing productivity and turning an unexpected challenge into an energy-saving win.
- Wattage: 1500 Watts
- Noise Level: silent
- No. of heat settings: high (1500W) and low (750W)
- Dimensions: 27 x 10 x 22 in
When the weather is freezing and you need to invest in quality equipment for warming your home, DeLonghi HMP1500 is a great choice. This has no fan and is noiseless. It can heat a room of around 300 sq ft without a hassle and not burn you up in the process. Despite emitting a lot of heat, the equipment is cool to touch.
Also, we understand that a heater can occupy a lot of space. But this comes with a wall-mount adjustment that can heat your room well without eating up any floor space. Be sure to test the heat from the back of the unit when on high and to read all instructions before mounting the heater.
Additionally, it has high safety standards, with an anti-free setting to preventing the unit’s pipes from freezing in very cold weather. While they heat closed rooms effectively, the device is a little tricky with open rooms. It not only takes time, but the heating is also not uniform since the device has no fan to cause the air to mix more thoroughly.
Now the price point can be quite steep for a heater but factor in the great build and durability before making a decision.
- Heats a med to large room effectively (up to 300 sq ft for full efficiency)
- Easy wall mount
- Steep price point
- Less effective for very small or very large rooms
3. Best for Heating Up Small Spaces: Rosewill RHAH-13001 1500W Quick Heat Ceramic Heater (Adjustable Thermostat)
- Rosewill RHAH-13001 1500W Quick Heat Ceramic Heater with Safety Tip Over Switch - Ceramic - Electric - 750 W to 1.50 kW - 1500 W - Black
- Wattage: 1500 Watts
- Noise Level: 45 dB
- No. of heat settings: Fan, Low, High
- Dimensions: 9.02 x 5.91 x 6.3 in
There is no cooldown mode before shutting off the heater, so users are advised to flip it to the fan mode for 30 seconds before shutting the heater off entirely. There is a safety tip-over function that automatically shuts the heater if it is moved or tipped over slightly. This adds extra protection and ensures the prevention of any kind of danger.
This heater does not blow out heat strongly (a common drawback of quiet fans), so if you cannot wait for the room to heat up gradually, you will need to place it nearby. It is the perfect heater for small places. Through its user-friendly design, you’ll enjoy a comfortable cold-season.
- Multiple thermostat settings
- Very quiet, does not make unnecessary noise
- Automatic safety shut-off
- Not suited for large spaces
- Can heat up if used several hours at a time; to maintain durability you’ll want to give it a break or choose another model that supports long, continuous operation
4. Best Suitable for Home and Office: Hurricane 736609 Heatwave 24 Inch Radiant Heater (Comes with Thermostat)
- The Hurricane Whole Room Digital Radiant Heater is a whole room oil-filled radiant heater.
- The radiant style heater maximizes the amount of radiant heat. The radiant style heater ensures a low surface temperature.
- Digital display with 3 heat settings (Hi, Lo, Eco Modes), Timer Display, and a portable design.
- 1500 watts of heating power. ETL Listed and 1 Year
- Easy Assembly Required - Remote Control Included and Requires AAA Batteries (Not Included).
- Wattage: 1500 Watts
- Noise Level: Under 40 dB
- No. of heat settings: Low, High, Eco
- Dimensions: 24 x 8 x 7.25 in
The Hurricane Heatwave Radiant Heater is an effective heater that has adjustable thermostats ranging from a temperature of 50 degrees up to 80 degrees. This heater heats well and is the best heater for bigger spaces such as living rooms, basements, dining and kitchen areas and bedrooms.
The heater looks skinny but is a beastly device. It will heat your rooms very fast but won’t consume much electricity, therefore, you need not worry about high electricity bills at the end of the winter months. The heater also has a remote control facility, which allows users to control the temperatures from a distance.
With this heater, you can pick and set temperatures. The timer is an excellent addition, so that the heater does not run all night if you do not want it to. This heater is one of the best heaters available in the mid-priced range.
- Ergonomic design to ensure a low surface temperature
- Wheels make it movable
- Remote control and timer makes it convenient
- Makes noise on over-usage
- Thermostat can sometimes be faulty, so test thoroughly after unboxing so you can return easily / under warranty
5. Best For Portability & Noise: iLIVING Infrared Portable Space Heater with Thermostat
- Newly designed Dual Heat System that puts out twice more hot air than other models
- Newly engineered blower technology allows the iLIVING heater to work extremely quiet Noise level at 39 dB.
- Tip-Over and Overheat Protection Systems ensures the safety children and pets around
- Comes with Auto Energy Saving Mode and an electronic thermostat with 50 to 86 degree heat range.
- Listed by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) USA & Canada
- Wattage: 1500 Watts
- Noise Level: 39 dB
- No. of heat settings: Low (1000W), High (1500W), Auto + thermostat between 50-86 degrees
- Dimensions: 13 x 12 x 15 in
The iLIVING Infrared Heater is a portable space heater of 1500 Watts. It has a newly designed dual heating system, which helps the heater put out double the hot hair produced by other regular heaters. The exterior of the heater is made up of wood, which gives it a nice decorative look.
The noise level of this heater is below 39 decibels; therefore, the heater works exceptionally quietly. There is an additional auto setting which helps the heater adjust its temperature according to the surroundings and other than the main heat vent, it doesn’t heat up even when used for long periods of time.
The iLIVING Infrared heater is extremely reliable, durable and produces a lot of heat. However, if it needs to run continuously, they (and all heaters really) can consume quite a bit of electricity and jack up your electricity bill. This heater is capable of heating spaces of up to 800 square feet, efficiently.
The heater’s thermostat is especially accurate. If the temperature is set to 70 degrees, the heater coil turns off as soon as it reaches the set temperature. To avoid constantly flipping on and off, it will not turn on again until the temperature is 2 – 3 degrees below the thermostat value so keep that in mind when setting the temperature. The price point for this heater is on the higher end, but every single penny spent on it will be worth it.
- Auto Energy Saving Mode
- Over-heat Protection System
- Nice Wooden Exterior
- Infrared heat which doesn’t dry out the air as much as central heating
- One of the more expensive heaters featured here
6. Best for Small Spaces: Lasko Ceramic Tower Space Heater with Logic Center Digital Remote Control
- Ceramic oscillating tower heater effectively heats quickly and effectively.
- Digital thermostat; low, high, or thermostat-controlled automatic setting
- Self-regulating ceramic element and automatic overheat protection for safety. ETL listed
- Remote control, electronic timer with auto shut-off, carry handle
- 29.75" tall; PLUS Auto (programmable thermostat controlled)
- Wattage: 1500 Watts
- Noise Level: 39 dB
- No. of heat settings: Auto, High, Low
- Dimensions: 7.3 x 9.2 x 29.8 in
The Lasko Ceramic Heater is designed in such a way so that it is easy to use for new users. It has a digital thermostat with low and high controlled automatic settings to set the desired comfort level. It also has various temperature settings in degrees – 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85 and MAX.
The heater has a timer option to set the heater to turn-off at a particular time or keep the temperature constant. It efficiently heats any insulated bedroom of up to 300-350 square feet. It is not well-suited for larger spaces.
The exterior is made up of hard plastic which makes it lightweight. It has an additional oscillation setting that provides widespread heat coverage. There are built-in safety features such as self-regulating ceramic element and automatic overheat protection to ensure utmost safety.
The grip handle on this heater makes it easy to move around the house. The remote is also quite large for comfortable usage and a clearer view of the available settings.
- Good temperature regulation
- Oscillation provides widespread heat coverage
- Remote control
- Good heat output for mid-price range
- Lasko is a long-time trusted brand in the heating / fan market and this is a very popular model (other people are voting with their dollars)
- Does not work in larger spaces
- Exterior plastic loses color
7. Best Quiet Portable Space Heater for Small Rooms/Office Spaces: PuraFlame 1250W Clara
- Wattage: 1250 Watts
- Noise Leve: ≤23dB
- No. of heat settings: 2 Heat Settings
- Dimensions: 9 x 5.7 x 12 in
If you want a small, compact and portable quiet heater with low sound, PuraFlame 1250W Clara is the product you should purchase. In your small room or 10×10 office space, this is what you need to make yourself feel cozy, though it is rated to heat up to 400 sq ft. It has an optional, cozy realistic flame” feature that you can use with or without the heat to add a little coziness to your space on a cold evening.
The PuraFlame Clara is a perfect heater for small apartments or office spaces. It takes just 10 minutes to warm up the area. You don’t need a furnace or electric fireplace, its flame is bright enough to keep you warm.
You can take this heater where you are in the apartment to expel the chill out of the room. It is also suitable for elderly people as its safe, effective and small enough to fit in limited space.
You can also keep this at your workplace/bookshelf. This can also be an ideal heater when sitting on a comfortable chair.
However, some users have complained about noise and tripping. The product doesn’t have 2 heat settings as advertised by the salesperson. The dial which controls the amount of heat doesn’t seem to work as no temperature difference can be seen. The machine may wear off in a small period.
- Soft fan noise, no loud sound or rattling
- Warm, nice and compact machine
- Nice heater for small spaces
- Stylish look works great in RV
- Heats small rooms quickly
- Can fit on your bookshelf
- Flames effect is impressive
- Available in white, red, and black
- Doesn’t have 2 heat settings
- Heater may turn off randomly
- Can’t run it all night
- it is priced on the higher end, so if you don’t want the flame effect, you might want to choose a simpler option
8. Best Ultra Quiet Space Heater for Small to Medium Rooms: TURBRO Arcade HR1015 Electric Mica Heater
- MICATHERMIC TECHNOLOGY: Mica + Silicon produces infrared light waves that replacing ceramic resistance / oil-filled heater, it can warm up space evenly by infrared light waves without consuming water or oxygen from the air. Unlike traditional oil-filled heater, you might not have a burning sensation, but you’ll feel much more gentle and comfortable after a while.
- ETL & CA PROP 65 CERTIFIED: N"Arcade" is proved to meet the safety standards and is toxic free. For the first use, the "new smell" will dispear after running 15 minutes. The overheating protector prevents potential hazards when the machine is getting too hot. The safety of your family is guaranteed.
- ENJOYABLE, QUIET & HEALTHY HOURS: No fan, no noise, no oxygen consumption and few water evaporation. "Arcade" creates a quiet and warm room for your sleep, creation, or other activities.
- USER-FRIENDLY FUNCTIONS: Hi-Lo two steps setting and adjustable thermostat allow you to select an appropriate temperature and save energy at the same time. Easily mobility due to its durable 4 castor wheels and 2 handles, tool-free installation in minutes.
- 1-YEAR WARRANTY: Do NOT use any power strips, extension cords, or old wiring with the heater. Do NOT use the heater in bathrooms, laundry rooms, or any high-humidity places. If you need any assistance, you can easily contact us on Amazon or brand's official CS email directly.
- Wattage: 1500 Watts
- Noise Level: < 23 dBA
- No. of heat settings: 2
- Dimensions: 26.2 x 17.7 x 10.6 in
Its light-weight makes it easier to move in different rooms; you can lift this with one hand. Its sleek look enhances the room’s aesthetics. The thermostat quality is good and maintains the temperature without the heater running continuously.
It can run continuously on low setting, providing sufficient heat and keeping the electricity bill in check. The flip side is that you may want to run it the whole night but can adjust its temperature.
The machine heats up very quickly while maintaining a quiet and stable heat. There is no noise, heats up evenly and is quite portable. There will be an odor for the first 15 minutes or so of operation out of the box. This is a natural property of the mica and the smell is not from a harmful gas. Still, it is advisable to open windows for the first 30 minutes of use so that initial smell dissipates quickly.
Many users complain that it falters and stops within a few months after some use; however, customer service is prompt and quick to replace it. Be sure to read all the documentation from the manufacturer for correct usage and to do the initial 20 minute test they recommend.
- No noise, 2 types of heat output
- Super lightweight, heats quickly
- Portable, easy to move it around
- One of the most silent heaters in the market
- 16’x10′ room warms up quickly
- Excellent customer service
- Heater is hot to touch
- Radiant heater, no fan
- Some potential reliability concerns, but the price is on the lower end for a micathermic heater
9. Best Quietest Space Heater for Large Rooms: Bionaire Silent Micathermic Console Heater
- Lightweight home heater provides steady heat that's ideal for larger rooms
- Micathermic heating element uses convection and reflective heat for immediate warmth
- 2 heat settings and adjustable thermostat; shuts off automatically if it overheats or is accidentally tipped over
- Easy portability with its large carry handle and easy glide wheels
- Measures 26-3/8 by 6 by 21-1/4 inches (LxWxH); backed by 5-year warranty
- Wattage: 1500 Watts
- Noise Level: < 29 dB
- No. of heat settings: 2
- Dimensions: 26.4 x 6 x 21.3 in
For the chilly winters, you need a sturdy and robust heater. Plenty of options in the market, but the Bionaire Silent Micathermic Console Heater is one model which could solve all your problems. It is silent in operation and produces a good amount of heat even on the low setting.
Despite its small size, its heating capacity will amaze you. Its brilliant design makes it better and more reliable than other micathermic heaters, which are wider and taller. It heats up small to medium size room within 30-60 minutes.
Safety-wise, this is the best heater in the market for those having children at home. Even if one comes in contact with it for a short time, you won’t get burned as it works by transferring heat to the air at a slow and steady pace (no fan). Even your pets can sit closely and stay safe.
You can use this heater for heating basements also, with size up to 900 square feet in area. This heater should be completely silent when brand new. However as it ages you may start to hear a humming sound. If it is humming out of the box you may want to contact the manufacturer or exchange it as your particular unit may be defective. The plugs and electric cord can get hot, so use care to keep these away from easily combustible materials. In terms of reliability, many users report this model as being reliable for
- Sleek, slender design
- Doesn’t take more space, heats up quickly
- Adjustable thermostat and heat mode
- Best heater if you have kids at home
- Won’t burn you even if standing closer
- Silent, no rattling sound
- Cool to touch, easy to move around
- Electric cord, plug heat up during use
- Power button weak, fragile
- One of the more costly heaters, but it is silent, reliable and safe so bear that in mind.
10. Best For Personal Use: 500W Mini Space Electric Heater
- Quick Heating: PTC(Positive Temperature Coefficient) self-regulating heating element produces high heating power that quickly heats up the room and regulates the temperature itself; higher efficiency, durability & safety
- Advanced Protection: Tip-over safety switch and overheat protection will automatically turn the unit off in the event of it being knocked on its side or overheated. Thermal fuse for extra safety if the overheat protection failed
- Wider Angle & Low Noise: 60 degree oscillation provides wider airflow distribution with noise lower than 45db, which ensure your optimal comfort without being interfered by annoying sound
- Portability & Simplicity: Small and light-weight design makes it easy to use or relocate; the white and sleek look goes well with rooms in any color and designs, reflecting a modern style and good taste
- Wide Applications: Made of flame resistant material for worry-free use; perfect for personal offices, home, bedroom, desktop or dormitory. Its elegant look makes it a perfect gift for your family or friends. Note: this heater doesn't have thermostat or other heat settings; only ON/OFF status.
- Wattage: 500 Watts
- Noise Level: Lower than 45 dB
- No. of heat settings: None
- Dimensions: 10.3 x 7.2 x 7.1 in
As the name suggests, 500W Mini Space Electric Heater is the best product in the market for a portable personal space heater. Whether in your office, bedroom or bathroom, keep this handy to quickly warm yourself up even when the room is cold. Its modern and stylish look makes it a valuable gift item also.
This heats your personal space and uses less power than other heaters. It will warm your 10x10x8 bedroom in 20-30 minutes. You can also carry it with you… to your sofa or mini workspace at home.
Its oscillating heat is another appealing feature. Oscillating fans warm up the area evenly and make you cozy in your small space. As it uses just 500 watts, it also saves your electricity and reduces the power bills. This is highly recommended for working professionals who would like to use it at their office workstation.
The heater packs a punch and will quickly knock the chill out of your desk. This is a great option for the office if the battle over the office thermostat always leaves you feeling chilly and there’s nothing worse than trying to type with cold, chilly fingers.
On safety parameters, this Mini Space Electric Heater is among the best. Its safety feature will automatically turn off the heater if it overheats. If it falls on the ground by mistake, it will turn off on its own. However, the safety button at the bottom doesn’t work smoothly when using it on the office carpet so keep it on a hard surface.
- Modern & trendy heater, stylish look
- Easy to move around in your house
- Super safe heater for children, pets
- Turns off automatically on overheating
- Great for small area/office space
- Can keep the bathroom warm & comfy
- A good item to gift your loved ones
- The oscillating mode doesn’t stay in place
- Little high-priced machine
- Gets switched off as a safety measure when using on the office carpet (so keep on desktop)
Decibel or dB measures loudness, and it is an exponential scale – 50 dB is a hundred times louder, and 40 dB is ten times louder than 30dB. The sound level of a whisper is 30 dB and that of a modern refrigerator 40dB. Any heater louder than 45dB would prove to be disturbing. The Bionaire Silent is fully silent.
Heaters usually use an electric coil for heating. That is why they are rated in watts. The heat is dispersed using a reflector or fan. In some cases, the heat produced is circulated by heated oil passing through a long thin pipe that acts as a heat exchanger. Oil heaters are the quietest among traditional designs but fading out. The 500W Personal Space Heater is tiny but very quiet and energy-efficient.
It is merely a calculation of the change in temperature of air by using a certain amount of electricity: the more efficient a heater, the more significant the change caused by using less amount of power. Most good heaters use 1500 watts of electricity every hour to produce slightly more than 5,000 BTU (British Thermal Units) of heat. A medium-sized room of 150 sq ft needs about 5,000 BTU of heat. But this would also depend on the quantity of furniture. Two 1500 watt TURBRO Arcade HR1015 are enough for most large rooms.
They are heaters that use a combination of convection and radiation. The heat of a coil is reflected off a mica panel that is placed in a way as to spread warmth throughout the room. Being completely fanless, they are ultra-quiet. However, since mica is an expensive raw material, they are not cheap. The Bionaire Silent Micathermic console heater is one of the best mica heaters available and though at a higher price point, it has a proven track record of reliability and effectiveness.
If the heater is swing type and oscillates, it is best for spreading heat evenly across the room. Many like the tower type – such as the Lasko Ceramic Tower. These require less floor space, and being tall can radiate heat upwards with more efficiency. A thermostat that automatically cuts power when the room is warm enough is a big plus.
In our extensive testing, the DeLonghi HMP1500 was the absolute winner. It is not cheap, but it uses mica-thermic technology and makes 0 dB sound as a result. It can be used both as floor heater and wall heater and uses the industry standard 1500 watts of power. DeLonghi HMP1500 has a Lo-Hi setting, and the front and body do not warm up enough to scald you. However, it does not have a remote control.
If you are on a budget, you will find the runner up, Rosewill RHAH-13001, to be a perfect fit. The heater has a ceramic coated element, and at less than 4 lbs, is easily portable. You can move it around the room by using a long extension cord. Only 6 inches all around it is small but efficient. At 48 dB, the fans are slightly noisy and not perfectly quiet, but at this price, that is to be expected.
Other Quiet Gadget Posts: