Disclaimer: When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read More
The number of female motorcycle riders have been increasing rapidly and Dalvin Brown from USA Today in a post mentioned about a survey that says, 19% of the riders in the US are Women. Are you one of them?
To confirm the study, we contacted some reputed helmet brands in the US and found out that there has been 25% increase in the sales of lady motorcycle helmets in the past few years. As of 2020, more than 20% of motorcycle riders are female. This has led the industry to offer a wider range of sizes, styles and colors to satisfy their growingly diverse customer’s interests while still meeting stringent safety requirements.
A decade or two ago, there were not many head protection options available for women riders. If you looked for a helmet then, you might have ended up getting the model made for men. But with the rapid growth in the number of female motorists and the manufacturers showing interest in making quality helmets for lady bikers. You have a many options to choose from!
- The 11 Best Motorcycle Helmets for Women in 2020
- 1. Best Rated Female Helmet: Shoei RF-SR (BLUE)
- 2. Best Runner Up: GDM DK-140-MB Women’s Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet
- 3. Best Runner Up: LS2 Helmets Full-face Women’s Motorcycle Helmet with a Sun Shield
- 4. Best Women’s Motorcycle Helmet with Bluetooth: FreedConn Full-Face Flip Up
- 5. Best Lady Helmet Under $200: HJC CL-17 Streamline Full-face
- 6. Best Girly Motorcycle Helmet: Bell Vortex Helmet-Monarch
- 7. Best Women’s Modular Motorcycle Helmet: X4 DOT
- 8. Best Value For Money: Scorpion EXO-T510 (Men and Women)
- 9. Best in Comfort: Voss 303 Purple Eclipse Dual lens, Women 3/4 DOT Helmet
- 10. Most Durable Product: HJC Treague Adult CS-R3 Street Cool Motorcycle Helmet For Women (Pink)
- 11. Toughest Among All: Voss 988 Moto-1 Lily Graphic Girl's Street Bike Helmet
- The Verdict
The 11 Best Motorcycle Helmets for Women in 2020
Are you having trouble choosing the right one? Do not worry! Doesn’t matter if you need a helmet that can cope up with your long hair or the one which can provide a girly look keeping safety in mind. Here’s a list of the top-rated models that you shall consider when buying!
1. Best Rated Female Helmet: Shoei RF-SR (BLUE)
- The name SHOEI has long been synonymous with "premium" in the motorcycle helmet market - a credential that hundreds of loyal men and women in their Japan factories wear with great pride.
- The evolution and production of their world-class helmet line is a meticulous process that combines the very latest in technology with consumer feedback, modern testing practices, advanced materials, and over 50 years of helmet building experience.
- Just like the very first SHOEI helmet built by their founder back in 1959, every SHOEI today is still handmade in Japan utilizing a sophisticated process that involves over 50 people for each and every helmet.
- Aerodynamic Shell Design: Aerodynamic properties are maximized through extensive wind tunnel testing and professional riders' feedback.
- Dual-layer multi-density EPS liner enhances impact absorption and ventilation.
While buying a helmet, you should always look for safety, and Shoei is known for its safety assurance. The Shoei RF-SR Women’s motorcycle helmet is the best choice for the female riders out there. It has all the features that are required for being on top of the chart. It is comfortable, light, crash-proof, and has a sound ventilation system. The price is a bit high, but it is worth it.
This helmet is handmade and is available in 7 different colors they are black, white, basalt grey, matte black, matte blue, matte deep grey, and tangerine. This helmet also has the liner made of dual-layer multi-density EPS, which makes the helmet comfortable to wear.
It is even aerodynamically tested, has noise cancellation. It means that a rider can have a quiet and pleasant ride as the helmet would cancel out the wind noise. If you are looking for a good helmet and are ready for investing a little higher on it, then you shall consider the Shoei RF-SR.
- Good ventilation system
- Light and comfortable
- Has a super noise cancellation
- The padding can be removed and installed easily
- Safety ensured
- Airtight and can be awkward for longer routes
- Fogs up easily
- Slightly expensive than rival products
2. Best Runner Up: GDM DK-140-MB Women’s Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet
- DOT FMVSS-218 Certified GDM DK-140 Full Face Motorcycle Helmet with Removable Shield (Includes 2 Shields)
- Aerodynamic shell design constructed using an advanced lightweight composite poly-alloy, removable and washable Liner and cheek Pads
- Flush-fit, side-coverless face shield that is optically correct, compound-curved, scratch resistant and protects against UV-rays
- 5 points of ventilation with chin, rear & forehead vents with Double D-Ring chin strap with holder for Motorcycles, Sport Bikes, ATV, UTV, Dirt Bike, Scooter, Snowmobile, and Personal Watercraft and more
- Please Refer to The Following Size Guide to Determine Your Correct Size. To Choose Your Correct Helmet Size, Please Measure the Circumference of Your Head 1" Above Your Eyebrows Around Your Head and Refer to The GDM Helmets Size Guide. Please Note That the Size Guide Is for Reference Only and Cannot Guarantee Perfect Fit. S: 21 5/8 – 22 IN | M: 22 ½ -- 22 7/8 IN | L: 23 1/4 -- 23 5/8 IN | XL: 24 -- 24 3/8 IN | 2XL: 24 3/4 -- 25 ¼ IN
It has an aerodynamic skull design and has five-point of ventilation, thus letting the flow of air smooth. Apart from this, the helmet liner and cheek pads are removable and can even be washed. The helmet also has a clear shield already installed previously.
It comes with a double D-Ring chin strap, that means that there is no chance that the helmet would all off when in an accident. Along with the GDM Women’s helmet, the customer would also get two tinted visors free of cost. The price of the Duke Series helmet is $99.95, thus making it the most affordable helmet.
- Good noise cancellation
- Highly Affordable
- Comfortable cheek pads
- Smooth latching and unlatching of the straps
- Amazing design
- Visors can be annoying at high speeds
- It does not fit perfectly
3. Best Runner Up: LS2 Helmets Full-face Women’s Motorcycle Helmet with a Sun Shield
- Shell is made from LS2’s proprietary ultra-light extra strong High Performance Fiberglass Composite
- LONG OVAL FIT with multi-density EPS for the utmost in protection
- Twin Shield System drop down sunshield protects your eyes and is easy to operate with a gloved hand
- 3 shell sizes make for the smallest, best fit
- DOT approved. Meets the FMVSS 218 Standard, product also meets requirements imposed by the California Air Resources Board (CARB)
For $269.98, the LS2 helmet is the runner up helmet with some of the best features. The LS2 helmet is available in 10 different colors, which are, Carbon Fiber Wi, Gloss Black, Glow in the dark Orion, Hunter Orange, Hunter Tonal Bl, Hunter White, Matte Black, Razor, Vantage red and Vantage yellow.
Why is this helmet considered as the best runner up helmet? It is not only crash proof and comfortable but even has some other features as well, like, the LS2 helmet can glow in the dark, thus making night vision comfortable and stylish. [Check out how Carbon Fiber motorcycle helmets provide 5x safety]
Other than that, the LS2 helmet has a quick release chin strap, which can even be removed if you are wearing gloves. The helmet has a twin shield, which would protect your eyes from the harmful UV rays while you are driving.
It has adjustable top vents for proper ventilation, and even the chin vent has a dual function, one for airflow to outside nad removing the fog, while the other function is to let the air flow directly to your face. The material used is A-class polycarbonate and is lightweight.
- Has three outer shells for good ventilation
- UV resistant
- Glows in low lighting
- Fits perfectly
- Can fog up when the person is not driving
- Switches are not smooth and appear breakable
4. Best Women’s Motorcycle Helmet with Bluetooth: FreedConn Full-Face Flip Up
- [ DOT Modular Motorcycle Helmet ] FreedConn Bluetooth helmet supports max intercom range up to 1640 feet for 2 riders talking or 3 riders pairing. We had meets and exceeds both ECE & DOT safety standards, don't worry about the safety while riding.
- [ 3.0 Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmets ] Motorcycle helmet with Bluetooth 3.0 technology allows you to enjoy music, FM, GPS voice prompt and intercom stably while riding, makes team motorbike communication more convenient and efficient.
- [ Crystal Clear Sound Helmet Intercom ] Built in 2 premium speakers with full stereo sound. Advanced DSP echo cancellation and noise suppression technology, FreedConn Bluetooth helmet offers you clear music and intercom voice at high speed.
- [ 1 Button Control Helmets Motorbike ] Bluetooth FM helmet supports hands-free call (answering, rejecting incoming calls and redialing last number) with 1 multi-functional button. Incoming phone call overrides intercom, MP3 music, FM radio and GPS navigation audio. You can trigger Siri voice command by long press the MFB button for 2 seconds.
- [ Long Battery Life & UPGRADE Package ] 8 hours intercom talk time and 110 hours of standby. Upgrade package comes with gloves ( same size as bluetooth motorcycle helmet). M/ L/ XL motorcycle helmet with washable liner, if the size doesn't fit well, we will send you bigger or smaller liner.
Do you want a bluetooth intercom system in your helmet? This one comes with it!The FreedConn Women’s helmet is the best choice for the tech geeks out there. The USP of it being a high-class integrated bluetooth system, this helmet comes with several features that helps it standout!
For the women who don’t know about the bluetooth system, It is a technology that makes it easier for the riders to remain connected with other riders within a range of 500 meters, answer phone calls, get assistance with Google Maps navigation. However, it also requires charging and that’s why the manufacturer has added a charging cable with a visible latch.
This model is available in various colors, they are gloss black, grey, matte black, and white. Along with that, the helmet is waterproof and can connect with Bluetooth 3.0. The riders can even listen to music while riding, can opt or GPS navigation, and yet has noise cancellation. The helmet even allows the user to receive calls while riding. It also has a multitasking feature that allows the user to take a call, listen to music, and have GPS navigation at the same time.
- Awesome sound quality
- Nice fitting
- Smooth function of all buttons
- Internal visor functions as sunglasses thus protecting eyes from UV rays
- It has excellent noise cancellation
- Fogs up easily
- It does not have good ventilation
5. Best Lady Helmet Under $200: HJC CL-17 Streamline Full-face
- Advanced Polycarbonate Composite Shell - Lightweight, superior fit and comfort using advanced CAD technology
- Anti-Scratch Pinlock ready Face shield (HJ-09) New 3D design provides 95 percent U.V. protection; Side shield lock mechanism for a ultra-secure seal
- RapidFire Shield Replacement System; Simple and secure shield ratchet system provides ultra-quick, tool-less removal and installation for efficient operation
- 2-Stage shield closure system with one-touch center open/close shield locking system makes for an extremely tight and secure seal
- ACS Advanced Channeling Ventilation System; Full front to back airflow flushes heat and humidity up and out
If you are looking for the best helmet under $200, then the Streamline full-face Women’s motorcycle helmet is the best option for you. The price of the helmet is $149, and it has lots of good features and impeccable design.
The helmet comes with removable cheek pads and liner, thus making it easier for the rider to change the cheek pads. Along with that, the helmet assures you full UV protection and is accurate.
The material used for making the helmet is Advance polycarbonate and has moisture-wicking properties, which means that you do not have to worry even if the helmet gets too sweaty. Along with that, there is decent air ventilation and is simple to use. The shields can be removed and installed without the help of tools, and they do stay in the place.
- CAD technology is used
- Light in weight
- UV protection
- No other color available
- Fitting issues
6. Best Girly Motorcycle Helmet: Bell Vortex Helmet-Monarch
- Lightweight composite polycarbonate alloy shell
- Velocity Flow ventilation system with FlowAdjust for maximum stability and temperature control with minimal noise and buffeting
- Removable and washable interior for maximum comfort, Contour cheek pads (by means of stacked foam, not hand cut)
- Padded Wind Collar to drastically reduce wind/road noise, Padded chin strap with D-ring closure
- Five-year warranty
If you are looking for the best lady helmet that looks cool yet is feature rich and strong? then you should probably go for the Bell Vortex. The design on the helmet is quite attractive, and the company even allows for customization. Though it can get a bit hard to get this model, as only a few dealers have this product, you can still give a try for this helmet.
The cost of the helmet is $179.95, and customization might have some extra charges. The helmet has an airflow adjust system, a velocity flow system, and even a temperature adjusting system.
These features are made to make it comfortable for the rider to breath while riding and also to adjust the vents to maintain the temperature inside the helmet. Apart from that, the helmet comes with a padded wind collar situated at the backside of the helmet.
The wind collar cancels out not only the wind noise but also the noise from traffic, thus ensuring a pleasant ride. The material used is composite Polycarbonate, which makes the helmet light in weight.
- Very stylish
- Can be customized
- Has velocity flow ventilation system to keep the rider cool
- Interior can be removed easily
- Single color available
- Doesn’t fit nicely
7. Best Women’s Modular Motorcycle Helmet: X4 DOT
- Meets or Exceeds FMVSS-218 and DOT Safety Standards
- Visor: Factory Original Anti-Fog Scratch Visor
- Aerodynamic ABS Plastic Mold for hard shell protection against high speed impact, Multi-Density Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) for reducing the amount of energy transferred to your head during an impact, Impact Absorption Padding for comfortable riding through long hours. Exactly what you need for Street Bike, Racing, Motocross, ATV, Dirt Bike, MX, Quad, Adventure and much more. For both men and women.
- Multiple Vents For Optimum Ventilation to allow fresh air flow to keep you cool and comfortable and prevent fogging without sacrificing Soundproofing and Warmth for colder weathers.
- Removable And Washable Inner Liner, Reinforced Chin Strap, Double D-Ring Buckle.
8. Best Value For Money: Scorpion EXO-T510 (Men and Women)
- Advanced LG Polycarbonate Shell
- Air Fit Liner Inflation System
- KwikFit Cheek pads accommodates eye glasses
- Ellip-Tec Ratchet System
- Aero-Tuned Ventilation
The Scorpion Unisex helmet is the best option if you are looking for good features in a helmet. Though the price is a bit high, $239.95, it is entirely worth it or all the features that it is providing.
The helmet has an air-fit inflation system. It also comes with aero tune ventilation, thus letting the ventilation process smoother and making it easier for the rider to breath while wearing the helmet. Apart from that, this is a Unisex helmet and can be used by everyone. Be it an adventurous ride or for daily ride, this helmet is suitable in every situation.
Not only that, the cheek pads are made in a way to complement the eyeglasses, thus improving the vision. The helmet comes in two colors: Gold and black. The helmet has some graphics and designs made on the exterior, thus giving it a funky yet decent look. The helmet also has an air fit cheek pad system, which means that once installed, the air pads won’t come out easily from the helmet.
- Has nice visors
- Clear face shield
- Also has a dark smoke shield
- Available in all sizes
- Good ventilation
- Has a moisture management system
- Cannot cancel out noise
9. Best in Comfort: Voss 303 Purple Eclipse Dual lens, Women 3/4 DOT Helmet
- The Voss 303 Dual Lens Open Face Helmet with Metallic Purple Eclipse Graphic
- Fitment: Round/ Oval Headshape
- Removable, breathable and moisture wicking sport liner interior; Fast Ratchet Quick Release System
- VIVS - Voss Internal Visor System - added convenience for the road - Easy to change, no tools necessary!
- Thermoplastic Lightweight ABS Blend; Helmet weight: 1300 g
Though this helmet is quite difficult to get, as it is not delivered in most of the countries. There are four colors available in this helmet, namely, Gloss Black, Gloss White, Matte Black, and Matte Black eclipse.
The Matte Black eclipse variant even has a dash of purple on the exterior and also has some designs made on the shell. The helmet has multiple air vents and yet has to drop down glasses. The functioning is smooth, and the rider can even open the ratchet with gloves on.
- Is open face type
- Multiple vents allowing better airflow
- Dropdown lenses mean no need for glasses
- Pads are soft
- Hard to get
- Prices vary all the time
10. Most Durable Product: HJC Treague Adult CS-R3 Street Cool Motorcycle Helmet For Women (Pink)
- D.O.T. Approved Advanced Polycarbonate Composite Shell: Lightweight, superior fit and comfort using advanced CAD technology HJ-09 Anti-Scratch Faceshield: Hard coated 3D shield design provides 95% U.V. protection and Anti-Scratch coating
- RapidFire Shield Replacement System: Simple and secure shield ratchet system provides ultra-quick, tool-less removal and installation for efficient operation. 2-Stage shield closure system with shield locking system for an extremely tight and secure seal “ACS” Advanced Channeling ventilation system: Adjustable forehead and chin vents, and two rear exhaust vents creates a full front to back airflow flushing heat and humidity up and out
- Plush, Nylex Interior: Fully Removable/Washable Interior cheek pads and liner. All sizes of cheek pads are interchangable in all helmet sizes.
- Multiple optional shields available: RST mirrored, high definition (amber), smoke & race shields with tear-off posts.
- Easily converts to snowmobile application with optional Dual Lens Shield or Electric Shield and Breath Guard Weight: XS 3.17 lbs (1.438 +/- 30g) SM to MD 3.19 lbs.
The HJC helmet is sturdy and comes with many amazing features. It is made of Advanced polycarbonate material and comes with an HJ- 09 face shield. Apart from that, the helmet has a 2-stage shield closure system, which ensures the rider that the helmet is tight and won’t fall off. The creators have used CAD technology while making the helmet, which means that the rider can get assured that the size would fit perfectly.
For $149, not only would you be getting a good helmet but also a stylish one. The exterior has pink designs made on it. The interior is completely removable, as well as washable. Even the cheek pads come in different sizes, giving you the option to select the best size for the cheek pads. Also, the sellers are providing extra shields like a smoke shield, racer shield and RST mirrored protection.
- Stylish yet comfortable
- Washable interior
- Cheek pads are available at different sizes
- Multiple shields for free
- Great affordability
- Slightly Heavy
- Average fitting of smaller sizes
11. Toughest Among All: Voss 988 Moto-1 Lily Graphic Girl's Street Bike Helmet
- Voss New Release: 988 Full Face Helmet with Integrated Sun Lens in the Pink Lily graphic on a Gloss Black Shell
- Spring loaded visor to minimize internal wind noise
- Lightweight injection molded ABS/ PC alloy shell: around ± 1650 grams ; Dual air flow top vents and lower front vent with large closeable exit port
- Fully Adjustable Ratchet Quick Release Retention System; DOT FMVSS 218 / ECE 22.05 Certified
- Helmet comes with Clear shield only. Iridium Shield NOT included, sold separately.
There is no shield, so you would have to buy the shield separately. The Voss 988 helmet is also light, which is quite shocking as it is made for street bikers. Though you can be assured that even after being so light, the helmet is tough and would protect you at any cost.
There are multiple vents in the helmet, thus allowing for better airflow. Though if you do not install a shield, you won’t even require any ventilation. Leaving that aside, as the helmet does not come with protection, it allows the rider to add the shield of their choice, thus allowing for a bit of customization.
It is also stylish as it has graphics and designs made on the outside of the helmet. The interiors of the helmet are soft, and the cheek pads are removable. It can also be washed easily. The smooth ratchet system makes it comfortable for the riders even to open the lock with gloved hands. Also, the helmet comes with a dust bag. Thus you can get assured that the helmet won’t get dirty if placed somewhere.
- The helmet is exceptionally durable.
- Great aesthetics and design.
- Allows for customization
- Proper ventilation
- Easy installation of the shields
- Slightly expensive
- Getting perfect size is difficult
The post was also shared with a few professional female motorcyclists and they think that this list is great especially for daily or regular road trips. We hope that you end up finding the right one for your riding needs.
Although, we’ve spent huge time getting feedback from top-notch motorcyclists and have included the best models available in the market, there’s a good chance that it might not have what you needed in a helmet. In that case, I’d request you lady riders to comment down with the model which you think deserves to be in this list! We’ll run it across and check if it’s worth being added. Cool?
Nothing is as good as helping others help an informed buying decision. That’s why in case you think that the helmet is quite useful, please help other readers or women by commenting down the model that you have bought or prefer with one reason! Who knows, it could help someone in need?